My Guide Website?
Wicklow Historic Gaol: 1-Hour Tour27 Reviews
Bring history to life and discover the dark secrets of Wicklow Gaol with this fascinating tour. As you are guided around the museum, experience prison life as it was endured by its 18th century inmates during a turbulent period of Irish history.
- Experience prison life as it was endured by its 18th century inmates
- Bring to life two of the most turbulent centuries of Irish history
- Learn how prisoners received basic education
- Step into an atmospheric jail museum experience in Wicklow Town
DescriptionTake a trip back in time and experience prison life in Wicklow Gaol as it would have been endured by its 18th century inmates. After being greeted by either the matron or the jailer, step through the Gates of Hell to begin your partially guided tour of this fascinating museum. After descending down a narrow spiral staircase, discover the dark history of the jail from your guide, including the number of prisoners held in Wicklow, the crimes they had committed and the torture methods used on the inmates. Hear fascinating stories of famous prisoners housed at Wicklow, and their executions at the gallows! As you proceed through the jail, feel a shiver down your spine and ask your guide about accounts of paranormal activities. With the help of videos, holograms and lifelike mannequins, bring to life the inmates' experiences. For you younger inmates, there is a fun quiz to complete as you make your way around the museum, which can be checked at the end of your tour. If you've demonstrated good conduct throughout the tour, the jailer will decide whether you're lucky enough to receive a special release form!
IncludesMuseum entrance fees
- Three hours of free parking is available directly in front of the jail
- A 10% discount is available for the on-site café, the Jailers Rest